Keystone Automation is always interested in working with motivated, talented people. If we do not have a current job opening in your field of expertise, please send us your resume in confidence to:
We are continuously growing and look forward to hearing from you.
Senior Electrical Designer/Programmer (PLC)
Summary of Position
Education and/or Experience
No college degree is required. A Senior Electrical Designer will have a strong electrical machine design and programming background in addition to proven leadership and project management history and programming experience. At least five (5) years experience in a project leadership role is required.
The following duties are deemed essential in the opinion of the Company for an employee to perform with or without a reasonable accommodation as a Senior Electrical Designer:
- Will be required to multitask on various fronts. Will be required to perform in stressful situations while focusing on the current and underlying issues and priorities related to the workplace, clients, vendors and deadlines.
- May need to occasionally carry, lift or move materials, parts and components weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Will use various shop equipment, shop tools, hand tools, calipers and other precision measuring devices.
- The employee will primarily touch, sit, walk, see, hear, speak English, stoop, kneel, bend, twist and crouch.
- Good eyesight and hand/ finger dexterity is needed to handle or measure components and engage processing.
- Must be able to write, read and comprehend verbal and written instructions accurately.
- Performs on a daily basis in the capacity as senior advisor, champion and leader responsible for all activity related to client and in-house electrical engineering related projects and initiatives. Collaborates with all employees in department to engage team cooperation as well as ensure and monitor independent accountability to assigned tasks.
- Researches, plans, and designs mechanical and electromechanical products and systems, and directs and coordinates activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and repair of mechanical or electromechanical products and systems. Excellent time and project management skills required.
- Responsibilities include control system design, control panel engineering, and site start-up support for a variety of automated manufacturing processes and equipment.
- This position requires the candidate be accountable for complete project execution including system design, testing, component specification, documentation management, vendor/contractor management, equipment procurement, installation and start-up support.
- Proficiency with PLC, SCADA, DCS, HMI and high level software controls, design and programming automated industrial equipment is required.
- This position requires excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to be applied in design, programming, and troubleshooting and diagnosis of automation problems of line control systems.
- Some work experience is required with Allen-Bradley (ControlLogix, PLC5, SLC500) and Siemens PLC’s, PanelView HMI’s, Industrial Communication Networks and control panel design. Experience with RSView32, Intellution iFix and VisualBasic is a plus. Experience with DeviceNet, Ethernet and ControlNet is desirable.
- The ability to simultaneously organize and successfully execute multiple project responsibilities is needed. Candidates must possess good communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact with all levels of management, clients, and vendors. Contractor management skills are also a plus.
- Will evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Perform responsibilities within established time, budget and Client operational constraints/parameters.
- Regularly monitor expenses and costs associated with each separate project. Work within given budget.
- Performs all work duties with a customer focus and perspective.
- On a daily basis will use phone. Will also use a computer, keyboard and mouse to type, access documents, communicate and interact. Excellent typing and computer skills, including intermediate proficiency in Microsoft applications, Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other proprietary software or applications as required.
- Excellent proficiency using two or three dimensional Computer Aided Design (CAD) software. Will draft detailed drawings of electrical components and control panel devices, indicate dimensions and other requirements. Shall also draft multiple-view assembly, subassembly, and layout drawings as required or needed.Work Conditions/ Environmental factors/ Work Hazards
- Will work in both office and shop environments. Fluctuations in office and shop temperature are anticipated.
- Work hazards include parts moving at high speed, pinch points and occasional loud noise from shop area.
- Tools and equipment must be used safely by trained employees and with all manufacturer guards in place.
- Controlling energy through lock out tag out polices is intended to limit workplace injury associated with this position.
- While working in the shop area, protect your hands, eyes, ears, and feet by using personal protective equipment (PPE) as necessary. Additional known or unknown hazards may be present at the worksite.
Other Non-essential Duties
- May install electrical wiring, components, etc. and test operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance.
- May operate various fixed location shop machines and portable hand tools as needed to perform duties.
- May develop specifications from general description and draw sketch of part or product to be fabricated.
- May confer with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining or assembly problems.
- Applicants must be reliable self starters with the ability to work both alone and in a team environment. Every employee must exhibit a certain number of shared project management competencies in order to perform their responsibilities. Execution of workplace competencies will build an ever-improving workplace culture that fosters excellence toward internal and external customers. The following competencies have been identified for this position as those which most support employee relationships, project execution and company culture building. Although the relative weight of each competency will vary from day to day and project to project, you should internalize these competencies by building them into your daily interactions with others and, therefore, improve the workplace culture and ability to execute project plans.